I remember when I thought going natural meant less work
I remember when I thought going natural meant less work for me.
I wear more protective styling as a natural than I did when I had a relaxer. Sew-ins, wigs, braids and faux locs have been a part of the hair regimen for so long that even I forgot what my real hair looked like. I've had so much of it for so long and I'm not complaining, I just wish I had more time to really show it off. I'm too busy "protecting it". Lbvs!
The question has been asked if I would consider relaxing my hair after being natural for over 12 years. I said emphatically No!
Now don’t get me wrong while I love my natural tresses. This natural road has been challenging. It takes more time, Detangling has handed me my a$ a many day , it took me forever to figure out the moisture thing, 11pm on a Sunday sometimes I want to cry because I should have deep conditioned earlier, but instead I left the bird’s nest on top of my head and now I’m too tired to do anything.
The Straight Wrap I used to wear was a wam bam thank you Mam kinda hairstyle. SHOUT OUT to all my girls who used to wear that wrap and avoid the rain, the gym and the pool like me!
But I still, wouldn’t go back to a relaxer because while I’ve gotten my hair caught in a tree branch before or rolled some of it up in the car window and on a big hair day completely lost my peripheral vision... this journey has given me so much!
Here are my wins:
* I’ve dispelled my own perceptions that my hair was nappy and NEEDED to be straight
* I don’t care what anyone thinks about my hair or the way that I look anymore
* I’m not tempted to style my hair based on what’s socially or professionally acceptable
* I love my kinks and curls and will teach my future daughter(s) -God willing - how to love and care for their kinks as I have for my nieces thus far.
* I am not my hair, but I think my hair is
* Caring for my hair helps me to slow down and prioritize my self care which ultimately produces a sense of well-being & confidence
* My kinks also inspired me to produce my own natural products of which includes natural hair products for the many needs of the type4 naturalistas! My products are effective for ALL hair types because quite honestly type 4 hair is the most difficult to manage. So if it works for us, it’ll work for the rest of the wavy / curly hair beauties.
* I could go on but I think y’all get the point!
Ladies & Gents… how ever you wear your hair, let it be an authentic expression of you and not the result of what you think is acceptable.
Here’s for the culture